Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's there if you look...

Today I saw a beautiful thing. Sometimes I wonder how many of these beautiful little occurrences happen and never get noticed by anyone, how many happen in front of me that I miss, and how many we all miss because we are just too busy in the hustle & bustle of "getting to" the next destination or are frustrated by "all the traffic" or are simply not paying attention to anything except our own little world...
I was in "School Bus Traffic" today - you know what I mean... you creep along for a mile and a half in a single snake-like line of cars following those mammoth yellow-orange carraiges, obediently stopping for their flashing red lights at seemingly every other driveway as kids get delivered home after school...
As I was sitting there in line, another bus was approaching from the other direction; I watched a Mother come out to the end of their side street half riding, half pushing a scooter accompanied by an enormous German Shepherd. She and the Shepherd looked anxiously toward the oncoming bus. As it neared, the dog got up and began prancing. His anticipation of seeing his soon to be arriving playmate was great. I had the feeling that this was a daily ritual. The bus stopped down the road a bit from them; Dog and Mom watched intently. Suddenly his tail was wagging furiously and he emitted a deep, "WOOF!" A little girl in a pink jacket waved at them and picked up her pace as she headed toward her beloved friend who was awaiting her arrival eagerly.
Traffic moved just then, and as I passed them, I saw the beauty of this moment as the girl hugged them both, hopped on the scooter, grabbed the leash and together they headed home.

No comments: